What we do
SeaQuest provides ship owners and maritime industry stakeholders with professional marine consultancy, shipbuilding project management and supervision services for their new building and conversion projects worldwide.
A successful shipbuilding project depends on experience in both new building and operation of the specific vessel type, attention to detail and knowledge of the selected shipyard. SeaQuest offers an expert multinational team of naval architects, engineers, project managers, and inspectors able to manage the project from technical specifications, marine consultancy, evaluation and review to final delivery, covering all the intermediate phases such as shipyard assessment, selection of equipment makers, plan approval, provision of specialist teams for construction supervision, commissioning and technical support to the ship's crew.
Our Safety & Quality Assurance System ISO 9001:2015 certified by ABS (for SeaQuest Marine Project Management Ltd. and SeaQuest Marine S.A.) specifically dedicated to new building, ensures the same high level of service for every client, however large or small the project is.
SeaQuest was founded in 2003 and has offices in Hong Kong and in Geneva (Switzerland), and operates through the site supervision offices in the countries of build.
Our sister company, SeaQuest Shipmanagement, provides a full range of ship management and crewing services.
► To view our company presentation click on below icon:
► To view a short introductory video clip by Jan Andersson, SeaQuest CEO & MD click on below icon:
Our consistent and persistent engagement towards shipbuilding project management and supervision together with our technical skills and experience make it possible to reach our professional goals, thus enhancing and protecting clients’ assets:
- On time delivery. Our site teams strive to have the building schedule and commercial commitments respected
- Longer lasting assets. Our clients’ vessels are built to ensure longer operating lives.
- Minimal downtime. A well-built vessel will spend less time in the repair yard and more time at sea.
- Vessel efficiency. Decisions made throughout the build process can have a substantial impact on the vessel’s future running costs.
- Higher asset value. Working with SeaQuest and building to the best quality standard ensures that our clients’ assets achieve higher prices in the second-hand market.
- Teamwork around shipbuilding. Our professional and pragmatic approach optimizes the relationships between the parties to the benefit of the project.
- Compliance. Adopting a resolute approach to shipbuilding project management, we assure our clients their vessels’ will comply with contractual specifications and approved plans and meet the latest rules and regulations.
- High standards. Our rigorous ISO certified Safety and Quality Assurance System allows ships to be built to the highest standard anywhere in the world. We have a resolute approach to shipbuilding project management as outlined by IMO MSC 77/2/6.
- Improved design. We enhance the technical specifications by requiring the Builders to implement changes at no additional costs whenever reasonably achievable.
- Peace of mind. Our experienced team offers the professionalism and knowledge needed to guide any shipowner through the complexities of the new building projects.
SeaQuest has provided new building supervision services more than 100 projects for the construction of over 300 vessels, which include Military Ships, Gas Carriers, Oil/Product/Chemical Tankers, Bulk Carriers, Container vessels, PCTCs, RO-RO and Con-RO vessels, Passenger/Cruise and RO-Pax vessels, Floating Storage Offloading (FSO) vessels, OSV Floating Accommodation, AHTS, Livestock carriers. Our management team has more than twenty years of experience in managing projects in South Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Indonesian and European yards.
Our first priority when launching the company was to establish our own ISO 9001 certified Safety and Quality Assurance System.
► To view our QA System presentation click on below icon:
This consists of refined procedures developed through years of shipbuilding and operational experience. A reliable approach achieves consistently excellent results for all our clients and means that a high-quality vessel can be built virtually anywhere in the world.
Our methods and procedures are more rigorous than those usually implemented by the shipyards, and accepted by classification societies, ensuring a higher standard of quality.
By working with SeaQuest our clients benefit from our knowledge of local culture and familiarity with the executive management of many Far Eastern leading shipbuilders.
For updated information on our projects click here.
We have worked with well-known ship owners from Europe, Asia, Africa, North & Central America and Oceania, and were selected by the UK, Norwegian and New Zealand navies to supervise the construction of their replenishment-at-sea, logistics and support vessels built in South Korea.
Irrespective of clients' size, being family-owned companies, corporation listed on the stock exchange or state-owned, we offer all the same high level of attention to details.
An overview of our main clients is available here.
The company’s key personnel are highly qualified naval architects and marine engineers with a wealth of knowledge in the technical and operational aspects of ships. Our project managers, site managers and inspectors are experienced skilled engineers and technicians who have been trained to work using SeaQuest Safety and Quality Assurance System.
Most significantly, our employees are loyal and we can vouch for each individual’s professional competence and personal character. We maintain strict employment criteria and thoroughly enforce our standards, ensuring the highest ethical behavior.
Success or failure in any project depends on the expertise, reliability and availability of the right people. SeaQuest was formed to ensure stability within projects by bringing together highly experienced individuals from different areas of engineering. This merging of knowledge and expertise has set a higher standard within the industry.
SeaQuest has new opportunities developing all the time for:
- Naval Architects
- Mechanical Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Hull Inspectors
- Outfitting Inspectors
- Coating Inspectors
If you are a suitably qualified and experienced marine engineer or inspector with a background in ship operation and new construction or repair, please fill out our online application form by clicking this link: Apply Now!
Below are the profiles of some of the key elements in our team:
Jan Andersson CEO & Managing Director
Jan Andersson is a co-founder of SeaQuest and holds a Bachelor’s of Science in Marine Engineering. Jan began his career as a marine engineer officer for a Swedish shipping company. By the age of 22 he was a chief engineer, the youngest ever at the time, and at 25 he was involved in new buildings.
Jan is stationed in Korea and closely oversees all the construction projects onsite under SeaQuest supervision in Far East. He is responsible for the specification and contract negotiations with the shipyards, plan approval and makers’ selection, shipyard condition assessments and vessel pre-purchase surveys, ensuring superior professional supervision services are provided for all customers.
Jan created the renowned SeaQuest’s Quality Management System which subsequently resulted in the attainment of the ISO 9001 Certification for the Company.
Sebastiano Portunato Managing Director
Co-founder Sebastiano Portunato has over 30 years experience in ship consultancy and ship management. He has a degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from the University of Genoa, Italy. He began his career in ship management, working with his brother, and in 1987 they formed the ship management company Portunato & Cie. He has extensive knowledge of a variety of vessels.
Sebastiano is based in Geneva and is responsible for SeaQuest’s group administration, commercial negotiation and business strategy.
Vittorio Portunato Technical Advisor
Company co-founder Vittorio Portunato has over 30 years’ experience in the marine industry. He began his career in marine design and engineering, before forming a ship management company, Portunato & Cie, in 1987 with his brother Sebastiano. He has a degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from the University of Genoa, Italy.
Based in Genoa, Vittorio has also been involved in the full management of tankers, bulk carriers, offshore support vessels and tugs. At SeaQuest, Vittorio is involved in new building contract negotiations, maker selection and plan approvals.
Gian Maria Celle Business Development
A University of Genoa graduate in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Gian Maria Celle is responsible for SeaQuest’s marketing and business development.
Gian has over 20 years experience in business-to-commercial (B2C) and business-to-business (B2B) marketing senior management roles in the international trading and industrial sectors, including shipbuilding and provision of marine technical services. He joined the company in 2010 and is based in Geneva.
Fabrizio Lisitano Deputy Project Manager
University of Genoa graduate in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Fabrizio Lisitano joined SeaQuest in 2008 and is the Site Manager for the plan approval department.
Fabrizio also assists the Project Managers during all critical phases of the vessel construction liaising with class and yard for the implementation of shipbuilding quality standards and ship owner requirements, managing inspections and coordinating the technical meetings throughout the construction process.
Fabrizio is based in Korea and coordinates the site offices start-up and site team members' selection.
Yachun Sun China Country Manager
Yachun Sun holds a B.Sc.degree in Naval Architecture from the Jiangsu University of Science & Technology in China and is working with SeaQuest since 2015 in quality of Country Manager and Deputy Project Manager.
Yachun has 30 year experience as project manager and construction lead supervisor in the marine and shipping industry, new building and repair. He served as design engineer in CSIC - Tianjin Xingang Shipbuilding Heavy Industry and has been working for 20 years in a number of projects for GTR Campbell Marine Consultants Ltd in China before SeaQuest.
- Shipbuilding Project Management is our core business
- Services are tailored to meet client's specific requirements
- Well-established ISO certified Safety and Quality Assurance System*, modified and implemented throughout the years
- Proved knowledge of Far Eastern culture and shipbuilding methods bringing respect and trust
- Pragmatic approach to technical and commercial issues leading to an effective management of stakeholders' relationship
- Top Management residing in or close to the building sites and short chain of command
- Outstanding safety records
- Large network of skilled and experienced personnel selected to deliver the highest quality service
- Excellent cost control with no overruns experienced on any project
- Services are proposed at a lumpsum price
* not to be confused with ISM Code certification for ships operation